Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 5 – Cemetaries, Gardens and Wool(Part 3)

Then we visited Avoca, a extremely small village that apparently exports wool goods and ate lunch. Imagine there’s pictures of looms and such here.
Next stop: Glendalough(Pronounced Glendaloc) an abandoned monastery and round tower. They gave us plenty of history for these places, I’ve just forgotten it.
 


 
This is pretty much all there is to see. The round tower and the chapel. There was a good walk up a hill I wanted to take, but pressed for time I wasn’t able to do both.
On our way back from the chapel

 


In the bus going back to Dublin

This ends our day and our stay in Dublin. Something interesting: The country is a lot further north than you might expect. It’s about as far as Ketchikan in Alaska and it stays light out till almost 11 at night during the summer. The sun also rises at about 4:30 in the morning.
Tomorrow we head to Cork, Kilkenny Castle and St. Canice’s Cathedral.

20 comments:

  1. reminds me of the shire to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for the picture of you catching a leprechaun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cemetery pics. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bet itd be kinda hard to sleep in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jordan, it was actually summer when we visited. Weather was 60-65 almost the entire time, it was absolutely perfect for spending time outside

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pictures! reminds me of the shire, too

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much nature, and everything looks beautiful, it's so green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wild! I'd love to go some time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn it, I want to go to Ireland now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just out of curiousity did you travel to the north-west at all. If not you missed out on the most beutiful part of Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Captain yes, to a degree. We moved along the southern coast and followed it west, eventually ending in Limerick. I didn't go further north than about halfway up the country, though. We did visit the cliffs of Moher, which was my big must see there.(I want to go back just for them again)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish we had luscious green grass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these pictures are beautiful man. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just beatiful... O_O

    ReplyDelete
  15. seems like a beautiful place, judging by the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great pics and what a cool place to live in. can u post some more of that location please?

    ReplyDelete